Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Walk Along the Shore

Since it's vacation and the last warm day before winter starts its comeback tour, my mother and I went for a walk along the shore. The sun was bright, the water blue, and if I squinted hard enough to blot out the details, I could imagine that the bank of snow was fine white sand, and there was just enough time for a quick swim before the burgers were done cooking on the grill.



The distant land beckoned to me, and I started dreaming of kayak trips, and waking up in the clear morning light of the islands. A few more months and I'll be able to dip paddle into surf, and push off into blue water. I do some of my best thinking both on and about the islands...this year I'm hoping to make more time for lazy days spent lying on the sand drawing pictures of shells and thinking about the big questions of the universe.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

O, so descriptive. It's wonderful you spent part of the day walking with your mom. I'll always remember my times at the Oregon coast with my mother. The ocean was her favorite place, the place she asked us to scatter her ashes. I'd sure love to be able to call her in the morning and say hey, let's drive over to the beach and have a walk on the sand and lunch.....

Unknown said...

Lovely post. i felt as if i was there. I hope to be on the water much more this summer!