Friday, February 27, 2009

outgoing tides


Lately I've been starting each project with a few moments of tidal breathing and visualization. I close my eyes, and take deep, slow breaths. I visualize the air, moving in and out of my body, my chest rising and falling, like waves flowing on and off the sand. All the excess thoughts rush away from me, the way the thin rivulets of water race away from the shore, chasing a retreating wave. With each breath, the distractions of the job hunt and schoolwork and all the other projects I am thinking about flow away from me. After a few moments, I can open my eyes to the one idea in front of me and give it my undivided attention. Like the tides, I know the chaos will be back again, but for those few moments, I am present...


3 comments:

Lydia said...

Beautiful shot. We're in sync on this, only we are practicing it at different times of the day. I've been doing "wave breathing" at night, sometimes in the bathtub with candles, and it really stills my mind. Come to think of it, this has been spilling into my daytime breathing as well. I realize I've been more present with my breathing lately. :)

Have a peaceful Sunday.

Ruth said...

After a couple years of intense breathing practice, it comes naturally now. I'm glad. This is a nice one.

Wandering Alice said...

Thanks! It really is amazing how doing this to focus on one part of life spills that intent over into others. I also find myself breathing mindfully while driving, writing papers, before going to sleep, etc. This is good for me...