Tuesday, February 24, 2009

blue period


I keep painting versions of this wintry scene, some large, some small, and I even did one with spruce for our Xmas card this year. Sometimes I find that I just have to work through an idea before I can move on to bigger and better things. I've been in a mood to be monochromatic for a while...but lately I've been thinking about layers, and find myself drawn to artists who are producing collages, and layered journals and other multi-media pieces. If I wanted to get all deep and philosophical about it, I would say that this probably represents how my life has become so chaotic and multi-layered, and that naturally those life-characteristics would be reflected in my creative work. Who knows. It could just be that I'm yearning for colors and textures after the empty white pages of winter. I won't really have a big chunk of time to break things out until the weekend, but I'm thinking of doing some paper and fabric work, maybe layered with paints and wax...hmmm...and maybe some bookmaking...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

A beautiful painting. I love the blues. I need to get painting again!

Rose said...

I have recently started journaling and it is great fun! The layers help things peek through and the pages take on a life of their own. Caspiana has a wonderful class on her blog starting last July which has really helped me get started.

I wish I could paint well!

Wandering Alice said...

Rose-I looked at Caspiana's blog and was really impressed by some of her techniques. Journaling is such a powerful tool. I've really enjoyed seeing all the different bloggers' expressions of her methods-fascinating! I like the whole idea of the multi-genre journal in general. Makes me think of the commonplace book work I did a little while ago.

Flowrgrl1-thanks! hope you get a chance to do some painting soon...

L. said...

The painting is beautiful. I wandered over from Christopher's "Northern Wall". Your blog is lovely. I will be back to read more:)

Lydia said...

Oh, that is so beautiful. I'm impressed with your painting talent and passion.

sdonny said...

This piece really is an experience. I especially like how the low sky lerking behind the island seems to melt into the background as the morning fog is rolling in. You have my eye, nice job