Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Goals, Part One

I love to make lists of goals. In fact, sometimes I'm better at making lists of things that I should be doing then actually doing them. As anyone who has seen my study knows, I am not a naturally organized person. I have to really work to transform the chaos that crowds around me into some sort of workable state. But I have a pretty good track record of meeting goals when I put them into lists. I usually start with what I'm doing, and then work into what I want to do, like what follows. Each of those things has its own goals list, but I'll spare you that and focus on the creative stuff.

What I'm doing now:

1) Full time teaching internship
2)Part-time tutoring job
3)2 graduate classes (w/ lots of homework!)
4)Working on research for my M.Ed. Thesis (library research and field interviews)
5)Trying to get certified to teach yoga to kids
6)Job hunting for teaching positions for summer and next school year


As you can imagine, there isn't a whole of free time in there. Some days I get up at 5am and leave the house, only to return at 10:30pm, and the only time I wasn't working was when I was driving from point A to point B. So I'm trying to figure out how to fit my creative aspirations into the little spare time that I have.


I am fortunate that many of the above activities are creative in themselves, and allow me the chance to appreciate the world around me. Example: when my students write in their journals, I join them. Some days I have 2 or three chances to give my brain a little break in the day and a chance to roam free for 15 or 20 minutes-fun!


A lot of my creative goals have a delayed start date of May, since at that point my workload will (hopefully) decrease a little and give me some wiggle room in my schedule. The rest of the work on my goals will be squeezed into stolen moments during weekends and breaks, or focus on transforming my activities 'within' my crazy days. Here's part one of my list, with more to follow in the next few days:


1) Keep blogging- I've had some really exciting conversations with folks as a result of some posts-please feel free to join in! I also have a re-design in mind, and hopefully will get a chance to work on it in the next few months.


2) Unplugged Art Night- Despite it's rocky beginnings, this is still on the plate. PK and I would like to take it outside when things thaw out and have some more evenings on the coast with our paints. We managed to do this with photos a few times last year, and it was a nicely productive exercise.

3)Submit some pieces to a local art show that benefits local conservation work (and is an appropriate venue for my stuff). Fortunately the deadline for the show I have in mind is in September, so I have some time to work on new pieces. I'm hoping PK joins in on this with some of his photos--I only post seconds of his work on this site since he has his own etsy shop, but his photos are coming along nicely and would be a great addition to the show.

More goals to come...

No comments: