Saturday, January 24, 2009

From the Vault: Balboa Park Gardens, San Diego

Lilies and Carp

PK and I spent a few weeks in San Diego this summer, and spent hours wandering around the many gardens in Balboa Park. The light was usually too bright for good color photos, so I spent most of my time doing little sketches and just absorbing the calm atmosphere of the Japanese garden and the gigantic botanical building while PK chased after hummingbirds with his camera. There were so many different shapes and textures to enjoy-all piled on top of one another, shaded and merging with other plants, people and the flocks of wild birds. My tendency in big public places like this is to seek a quiet corner and create my own sense of solitude and wilderness. These photos were taken in some of those nooks.


Cactus Garden

No comments: