Friday, September 12, 2008

mindful snorting noises...

So, I just started a class in Ashtanga Yoga--I really like the approach of the studio I go to since it focuses so much on mindfulness and body awareness. I've done yoga for a number of years, but usually in a gym or rec center, and the focus has been more on physical movement rather than mental movement, so I'm fascinated with some of the philosophy behind ashtanga yoga. That said, I'm having a problem. Ujjayi. Ashtanga yoga synchronizes breath with movement, and my particular teacher wants us to breath in a specific style that when done properly sounds like it should be followed by the phrase "Luke, I am your Faaather". So what's my problem with Ujjayi? I can't keep a straight face. I've been trying all week, and the best I can muster involves a long gurgling noise followed by about 5 minutes of hysterical laughter. Every time.

Sometimes I'm not sure I should really be allowed to be an adult...

No comments: